From Virginia’s Kitchen
Baked French Toast
- Slice the French bread into about 20 slices, about 1 inch each (I use pre-sliced bread). Arrange slices in 2 rows in a generously buttered 13 x 9″ baking dish, overlapping the slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt: beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended, but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread praline topping evenly over the bread and bake approximately 45 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup, if desired.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well.
- Pour over top of bread before baking.