From Virginia’s Kitchen
Broccoli Rice Casserole
3 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped broccoli
3 cups cold cooked rice
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 (8 oz.) jar cheese spread
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the broccoli in a colander. Thaw and drain.
- Mix the broccoli and rice together in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and celery to the butter and cook, stirring until vegetables are soft.
- Add the soup, cheese spread, nutmeg, and milk to the butter mixture. Cook, stirring until sauce is smoothly blended.
- Pour sauce over broccoli mixture and stir gently to mix. Cover and chill, if made ahead.
- Bake covered for about 40 minutes (1 hour, if cold) or until hot and bubbly.
- Uncover and sprinkle with almonds for the last 15 minutes.